Monday, February 13, 2006

Why Oh Why Did I Let Them Go?

From our More Money Than Sense Dept we have hot news of a vinyl disk reading laser player, a mere snip at $15,000 dollars but it
  • wont scratch your precious disks and
  • will remove the need to purchase needles - not that this is probably an issue if you're up for spending $15,000 on a record player.
  • Brings to mind one of the ace-est (is that a word?) applications of academic resources (I assume) where Ofer Springer (gotta love that name too) developed some code to convert a digital scan of an LP into MP3!

    Authors Note: I truly have entered the digital age. Here I am writing a Blog entry while sitting in a bar in Belfast International Airport whilst sippin' a cool black one accessing a wireless hotspot. (Although as these hotspots are notoriously insecure I guess this probably isn't me but some low-life identity stealing hacker.)

    4 comments:

    Glencross said...

    I remember seeing one of these on 'Tomorrows World' years ago - I guess that was pretty much the other end of the spectrum in terms of vinyl reverence from the laser reader thingy.

    Unknown said...

    Yes - a legitimate reason for skid-marks on the surface!

    I guess I just like the 'idea' of vinyl more than the reality. There were some cracking covers, sleeves, inserts, gatefolds and occassionally good tunes too...till they got scratched or had a can of coke poured over them.

    Toenex said...

    The second one sounded shit. Sorry but thats just what I think.

    Unknown said...

    But did you pick up on the subliminal messages? Those strange robots chanting 'Eat your brain mass' throughout?

    I bet the record industry never expected people to be able to fax over a copy of the LP to someone...